College Planning During Senior Year
- By this time, you should have identified a solid nucleus of colleges that are appealing to you and hold some realistic chance of admission. If you have not, you need to be visiting schools and making some decisions.
- Make thorough visits to the schools to whom you are applying if you can. Attend classes, spend the night in a residence hall, eat on campus.
- Continue to meet with college representatives visiting GHS in the fall.
- Attend any evening programs and receptions in Nashville or surrounding areas hosted by various colleges on your list.
- Take or retake the ACT.
- Ask or remind teachers to write your college recommendations. Give each teacher all the necessary materials to write your recommendations at least two weeks before they are due.
- Attend the Vol State College Fair. September 16, 2021
- Start looking at local and private scholarship opportunities.
- Make sure you're familiar with when college applications are due and start working on the applications. Each college has different application due dates.
- Begin working on application essay writing. The best applications will include well thought out and informative essays done over time and with numerous revisions.
- Complete the Transcript Request Form online HERE after applying to each college to have your official transcript and test scores sent. Transcripts are $2.00 each and paid for in May.
- Although many colleges have deadlines later than January 1, November is the best time for students to send their applications off.
- Maintain your academic focus!
- Complete the 2022 / 2023 FAFSA (opens October 1, 2021) Please visit the FAFSA tab for more information.
- Colleges often request Fall grades before making final admission decisions. Please ask your counselor to send an updated transcript.
- Inform each college at which you were accepted and inform them on whether or not you will or will not be enrolling.
- Turn in the college acceptance letter, of the college in which you plan to attend, to your counselor.
- Continue to apply for local and private scholarships.
- Please turn in a copy of any offered and accepted scholarship(s) letters to your counselor.